Radionica engleski 24. - How I have been learning the English grammar

How have I been learning the English grammar after two and half years have only been listening and four months of that speaking?
1. listening 2,5 years
2. speaking/copy speaker
3. grammar 1 months till now

Exemple:
Michael Swan
Catherine Walter
"how ENGLISH works"
Pages 172.
revision of past and perfect tenses

1. Reports are coming in that a train (crash) near Birmingham. According to eyewitnesses, it (hit) a concrete block which somebody (put) on the line.
Has crashed; hit; had put
Reports are coming in that a train has crashed near Birmingham. According to eyewitnesses, it hit a concrete block which somebody had put on the line.
Rule: We often announce a piece of news with the present perfect.
A light passenger plane has crashed in Surrey.
Andy's just found a flat.

2. Halfway to the office Paul (turn)  round and (go) back home, because he (forget) to turn the gas off.
turned;  went;  had forgotten;

3. I (do) housework all day today. I (clean) every room in the house.
have been doing;  have cleaned;

The present perfect progressive looks at the continuing situation itself; the present perfect simple says that something is completed, achieved.
4. I (lie) in bed thinking about getting up when the doorbell (ring).
was laying; rang;
We use the past progressive to say that something was going on around a particular past time.

5. It wasn't surprising that she (start) getting toothache.  She (not go) to the dentist for two years.
started; had not been/gone;
Mary could see that the child had been crying for some time.

6. I (play) a lot of bridge recently.
have been playing;
past perfect...................past..............present perfect...................present
for some time recently means progressive

7. When I (get) home everybody (watch) TV.
got; was watching;

8. We (not see) your mother for ages.
have not seen;
present perfect but not progressive because of a long time 'for ages'
look at 6. because 'recently' there is progressive
But, we have not been seeing your mother for two years, like in no. 5

9. How long (you learn) English?
have you been learning;
progressive = how long

10. London (change) a lot since we first (come) to live here.
has changed; came;
'since' - present perfect because connect past (came) with present

11. How many times (you see) this film? 'This is the first time I (see) it.'
have you seen; have seen;
the first time = present perfect
I ask myself can I have "a mother" for my second language English, like I had the mother for my first language. My answer is yes, I can. That mother is A. J. Hoge. It means that I last three years have been listening to the most A. J. Hoge, like I had listened to the most my mother first three years of my life. It is important to have "mother." because our brain better improves in all segment of language, rhythm, speed, intonation, accent, a color of voice, all together.

What is a difference between English and our mother language?

Reports are coming in that a train has crashed near Birmingham. According to eyewitnesses, it hit a concrete block which somebody had put on the line.
1. Reports are coming in = present progressive
2. has crashed = present perfect
3. hit = past
4. had put = past perfect
In my Croatian language the same sentences there are only two tenses:
1. present
2. crashed
3. hit
4. put
Now I know how my English writing/speaking would be in ears of native English speaker if I would translate directly from Croatian to English with:
1. present
2. past
3. past
4. past
instead:
1. Reports are coming in = present progressive
2. has crashed = present perfect
3. hit = past
4. had put = past perfect
Because of it is important A.J.' method:
1. listening
2. speaking
3. and long after writing/grammar
I now, third years from the beginning have been learning grammar and enjoy because now the English is my second morher language.

12. Who is that? I (never see) him before in my life.
have never seen
(ever, never ..... present perfect)

13. I hear Joe (get) married last summer.
got
I hear Joe got married last summer
 Get as passive auxiliary
Get + past participle
Get is often used, particularly in colloquial styles, as a passive auxiliary, in place of  be.
As with other forms of the passive, passive sentences with get are mostly intransitive, though get can also be used in ditransitive passives (passives with an object) (Examples 6  - 8 below)..
Sorry I'm late, the train got (was)  delayed.
My grandfather got (was) killed in the war.
She's getting (being) driven to the ceremony in a big limousine.
Survival training includes getting (being) dropped in the middle of the desert.
We're getting picked up at 7.15 tomorrow morning.
She got given a lovely present by her boyfriend
Everyone  got clearly told what to do by the team leader.
I got asked a very difficult question.

14. I (often wonder) where she (get) her money.
have often wondered; got
often, ever, never = present perfect

15. (You read) Pam Marshall's latest book?
have you read;
Since the latest book was written, have you read it?

16. They (just discover) a new fuel - it's half the price of petrol, and much cleaner.
have just discovered; near past connect with present

17. (You hear) the storm last night?
Did you hear the storm last night?
It happened last night, like yesterday, etc finished event.

18. My sister (be) married three times.
has been married;
We use the simple present perfect to say how often something has happened (because of the idea of completion). married here is pronoun

19. While she (talk) on the phone the children (start) fighting and (break) a window.
was talking; started; broke;
while ... = progressive

20. He used to talk to us for hours about all the interesting things he (do) in his life.
had done;
past perfect (had done) - past (used)
Why not had been doing? My wrong answer: had been doing On je pričao što je radio, a nije to radio tad kad je pričao, davno je to radio a sad sjedi i o tome priča. To što je radio nema nikakve veze s vremenom (past) u kojem im priča. To sam zaključio iz ovih primjera:
All the roads were blocked: it had been snowing all night long.
After I had been walking for an hour, I decided to have a rest.
She fell ill because she had been working for some time.
I 26. je odličan primjer: When I (meet) him he (work) as a waiter for a year or so.
met; had been working

21. You know. she (stand) looking at that picture for the last twenty minutes.
has been standing; all is clear, work is not finished, she still looking

22. The old cross (stand) on top of the hill as long as anybody can remember.
NOT: has been standing because it is long time.
has stood;
We prefer the simple present perfect to talk about permanent or very long-lasting situations. Compare:
He's been living in Doncaster for the last few months.
I've lived here all my life.

23. I (spend) a lot of time traveling since I (get) this new job.
have spent; have been spending; got;
Here there are two possibilities, present perfect if we mean more limited traveling, but if we mean continuous traveling till today then present perfect progressive
I'm from my home, traveling, since I finished university. I have been spending my time connecting another culture, coding and writing my blog workshops.

24. When I (be) in school we all (study) Latin.
was; studied;
When I was on the ship, I read Shogun.

25. After he (finish) breakfast he (sit) down to write some letters.
finished; has been sitting; => my answer
had finished; sat; => book's author answer
I ask stackoverflow:
Choose the right tenses (present perfect, pas or past perfect, simple or progressive). 1. After he (finish) breakfast he (sit) down to write some letters. My answer is finished; has been sitting; or had finished; sat; Does it correct?
Answer:
put on hold as off-topic by ColleenV♦ 23 mins ago
This question appears to be off-topic for this site. While what’s on- and off-topic is not always intuitive, you can learn more about it by reading the help center. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

"This question should include more details than have been provided here. Please edit to add the research you have done in your efforts to answer the question, or provide more context. See: Details, Please." – ColleenV
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit your question.
upvote
flag
We can help with specific questions about English. Checking your homework answers isn't something that's likely to be useful to other learners in the future. Why are you concerned that some of your answers might not be correct? If you edit your question to add the research you have done to try to answer the question, we should be able to take it off hold. The "Details Please" link above has some examples of different types of questions that have the right amount of detail. – ColleenV♦ 21 mins ago

I edited:
In Michael Swan and Carherine Walter book "how ENGLISH works" there are exercises: Choose the right tenses (present perfect, pas or past perfect, simple or progressive). 25. After he (finish) breakfast he (sit) down to write some letters. My answer is finished; has been sitting; but correct answer in the book is: had finished; sat; I am thinking that both are correct and ask myself why authors did not give us both solution like correct? My thinking I have just shared with you.

26. When I (meet) him, he (work) as a waiter for a year or so.
met; had been working
past; past perfect progressive;
........past perfect progressive...........past......
without "for a year or so" we would write only past: worked, because "When did he work? When I met him.":
When I met him, he worked as a waiter.

27. I (never learn) to ski.
have never learnt;  => non-American
have never learned = American
Present perfect because "never."
without never we have past
 I did not learn to ski. => it means that I did not learn to ski when I was last time on the snow in a hill, but (usually) I have always learned ski when I was spending my time on snow.

Primjedbe